NerdWallet is looking for an experienced education writer with an entrepreneurial spirit. You have written about the financial aspects of college: how to plan for it, how to pay for it and how to deal with student loan debt.
You are passionate about helping your readers. You constantly strive to hone your writing and reporting skills to tell compelling and significant stories. You expertly empathize with consumers’ pain points, as well as inform and guide them toward making smart financial decisions.
You do more than report and write; your job also involves a significant amount of time building and refining the advice, strategies and tools that readers seek. You would learn and use best practices for search optimization to ensure that readers who need help can find it.
You also want to help build a business and contribute to a positive working environment. You’re comfortable with change and taking constructive criticism. You work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member.
That’s what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet. Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We’re adaptable. We’re highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
* Help NerdWallet’s 100M+ annual visitors better understand their personal finances and how to make smart financial decisions.
* Research and write multiple stories per week, both new and refreshes of live stories.
* Hypothesize, measure and report on traffic and key metrics to inform execution.
* Regularly review and optimize key content.
* Follow emerging trends and contribute topic ideas that integrate with business and marketing strategies.
* Collaborate with other writers and your editors to constantly up-level your writing, content optimization and other skills.
* Share consumer insights and timely/relevant ideas to support social, email, media strategy and syndication channels.
* A strong, versatile writer who can quickly grasp and cover college planning and student debt.
* Data-driven, with an understanding of SEO and ability to translate content performance into clear insights and actionable improvements.
* Excellent at time management, prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
* A strong communicator who truly enjoys helping consumers navigate complex topics.
* Scrappy and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
* Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
* 2 to 5+ years writing for consumer-facing publications
* Experience writing about college debt and student loans is required
* Experience at a fast-growing startup a plus
What we offer:
* Competitive compensation package
* 401(k) with company match
* 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
* Paid maternity and paternity leave
* Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
* $500 enrichment stipend toward learning and development for your role
* Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
* Onsite coffee bar with baristas
* Company happy hours, social events and outings
* Generous, flexible vacation
* Remote: co-working space subsidy
* Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy