Pay: $47,477 – $61,722 a year
Full Job Description
Counseling all authorized military and civilian employees of their entitlements for shipment and storage of personal property and privately owned vehicles.
Determining and advising entitlements or procedures related to temporary storage of goods; weight allowances; prohibited items; and shipment of personal property including methods available.
Preparing and processing applications for transportation or storage of a wide range of personal property and privately owned vehicles.
Arranging the movement of special items such as mobile homes, house trailers, campers and large boats.
Advising personal property owners experiencing difficulties with their move, the proper procedure(s) to follow or that should be followed by the member/carrier/agent to correct the reported deficiency.
Job family (Series)2102 Transportation Clerk And Assistant
RequirementsConditions of Employment
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. This includes Time-In-Grade requirements for current status employees applying through merit promotion procedures. Status applicants applying for a promotion must have 52 weeks of service at the next lower grade.
You qualify for the GS-06 grade level if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-5 grade level. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular ability, skill, and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work. Some examples of specialized experience are:
Serving as a shipment assistant; researching organizational guidance regarding pre-shipment and post-shipment requirements for household goods, personal effects, mobile homes, boats/trailers, POVs (privately owned vehicles), Do-It Yourself (Self-Procured) Moves, freight rates, OTOs (one-time-only) for DHS/DOD military, civilians and their dependents.
Reviewing shipments for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and property services relevant documents to determine entitlement to NTS (Non-Temporary Storage),length of storage period, etc.
Ensuring correct spelling and data entry of all pertinent information into Transportation Operational Personal Property Standard System (TOPS) and the Defense Personal Property System (DPS).
Assisting in arranging for storage, delivery, special services, reweighs and tracing; and reviewing Permanent Change of Stations (PCS) orders and non-temporary storage requests.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 410-636-3500. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line self assessment questions that are based on the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job:
Knowledge of transportation regulations, methods, competitive practices and procedures governing personnel property services.
Knowledge of procurement of common and other Transportation Service Providers (TSP) services for domestic and foreign entitlements.
Knowledge of a freight transportation services for shipment of household and personal goods.
Knowledge of report preparation to include skill in analyzing factual information sufficient to document deficiencies or areas of non-compliance and make recommendations for appropriate action.
Knowledge of general administrative principles, practices, processes, and techniques.Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
Consideration will be given to performance appraisals and incentive awards as an indicator of quality of prior experience; no points will be assigned.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Completed online questionnaire
1. Current or former federal employees, submit a copy of most recent SF-50, Notice of Personnel Action, which demonstrates your eligibility for consideration, e.g., length of time you have been in your current/highest grade. Examples of appropriate SF-50s include promotions, with-in grade increases, NOT performance awards.
2. If qualifying based on education, submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, official transcripts are required prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet education requirements if you can show that it is comparable to education received in U.S. accredited institutions. Provide proof with your application. Please see click here.
3. If claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
4. If you are claiming veterans’ preference, submit the following documents. Please see Feds Hire Vets for detail.
- a. Veterans claiming 5 point veterans’ preference must submit legible Member 4 Copy DD214(s) indicating Character of Service. 5-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted.
- b. 30% Disabled Veterans must submit their Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and VA Disability Letter with percentage of disability OR documentation of disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
- c. Other 10 point Preference Eligibles must submit applicable Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and provide documentation of 10 point preference described on the back of the SF-15. 10-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application.
- d. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members’ military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
5. If requesting consideration under Executive Order 13473, you must submit proof. To confirm eligibility for appointment based on the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2019 (NDAA), submit a copy of the marriage certificate to the military member and a copy of your spouses’ active duty military orders (e.g., most recent military orders, PCS orders, etc.). Spouses of military members who are on retirement or separation PCS orders from active duty are not eligible to be appointed unless the member was injured with a 100% rating; or was released/discharged from active duty due to the member’s death while on active duty. Widows or widowers, who are not remarried, of military service members who were killed on active duty must submit a DD-1300.
6. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
7. All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system with fax number and instructions.
8. Required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is COMMANDANT (CG-123WEST), ATTN OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES (JOBS), US COAST GUARD, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE, STOP 7912, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7912.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(K)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and development opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select “Benefits”. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
- Individuals with disabilities
- Federal employees – Competitive serviceCurrent or former competitive service federal employees.
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)Federal employees who meet the definition of a “surplus” or “displaced” employee.
- Land & base managementCertain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
- Military spouses
- Family of overseas employeesFamily members of a federal employee or uniformed service member who is, or was, working overseas.
- Peace Corps & AmeriCorps Vista
- Special authoritiesIndividuals eligible under a special authority not listed above, but defined in the federal hiring regulations.
Clarification from the agency
Status candidates, Merit Promotion, Current Federal employees, former Federal employees, overseas employees, former overseas employees, CTAP, ICTAP, VRA, VEOA, 30% disabled, Schedule A, Individuals with disabilities, military spouses, land and base management, Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Vista For definitions of common terms found in the announcement: http://dhsconnect.dhs.gov/org/comp/mgmt/dhshr/hr/Documents/JOA_Common_Definitions.pdf
Company – US Department of Homeland Security
Website: https://www.dhs.gov/Click Here to Apply