Mic is seeking a part-time, remote Social Media Assistant to help program Mic’s various social media accounts and be available to post, as well as help create original content, from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, and 9 a.m – 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable working independently and with sensitive content. Applicants should have strong news judgment, familiarity with leading social platforms, and strong communication skills. Experience posting to a publisher and/or a brand’s social media page is a plus. Experience working with a news publisher is an extra plus.
Candidates should be able to work at the following times (ET):
Tuesday: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
These hours are not easy and will not change. Candidates need to be absolutely confident that they can be reachable and productive during these night and weekend shifts.
* Be available and eager to post breaking / timely stories during the aforementioned shifts.
* Schedule night & weekend posts with Mic’s editorial content across Facebook, Twitter, and potentially Instagram.
* Assist in creating original content for Mic’s social channels.
* 1-2 years experience working in social media
* Ability to write snappy, smart social copyImpeccable news judgment with an eye towards sensitivity and inclusivity
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
* A thorough understanding of Mic’s voice as well as the news & politics space
* Ability to identify trending topics
* Basic knowledge of social analytics tools is a plus
* Able to take direction and alter workflow with a sense of urgency
* Exceptional communication skills