Video / Community Interpreting
Under the supervision of the Communication Manager, the Interpreter will provide high quality professional Sign Language interpreting through video and/or on-site at various customer locations when needed. Interpreters must possess fluent American Sign Language and spoken English language skills, accurate interpreting skills, and thorough knowledge of and adherence to the RID Code of Professional Conduct.
* Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week after successful completion of a 40-hour New Hire Training.
* Must have a secure lockable room in your home that will be used solely for an At Home Interpreting Work Station. (no other individuals in the home may access or use this closed workspace)
* MUST be willing to allow for the ability of remote monitoring and oversight of the At Home environment and both ends of a call (video and audio).
Areas of Responsibility:
* Support and model the Purple Communications mission and values
* Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing customers in a variety of settings that could include both VRS and local on-site locations.
* Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work
* Provide effective communication in a video environment and/or on-site services environment
* Exhibit and maintain professional and ethical behavior at all times
* Adhere to FCC regulations pertaining to VRS
* Adhere to Purple Communications Center policies and procedures
* Be able to effectively interpret in a dialogic manner
* Demonstrate high quality American Sign Language and spoken English skills
* Multi-task between interpreting effectively while utilizing video-based technology
* Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers
* Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with team
* Complete required paperwork and data entry in a timely fashion
* Work effectively with minimal supervision
* Seek Manager support for difficult interpreting situations
* Operate a computer and peripherals with minimal assistance
* Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
* Must have three years current and consecutive experience interpreting through video in a call center
* Possess fluent ASL and spoken English skills
* Accurate interpreting skills
* Must be in compliance with State Licensure requirements
* Thorough knowledge of and adherence to the RID Code of Professional Conduct
Employees may experience the following physical demands for extended periods of time:
* Sitting, standing and walking (95-100%)
* Keyboarding (40-60%)
* Viewing computer monitor, videophone, and pager requiring close vision (40-60%)
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.