Medical & Health, News & Journalism, Writing
Bustle is hiring a remote part-time writer to contribute smart, thoughtful service and trend pieces around sex, sexuality, sexual health, and gender identity. There will also be opportunities to contribute longer lead stories, including Q&As, as-told-tos, and multi-source reported features.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts (sex therapists, sex educators, psychologists, dating experts, etc.) is a plus.
No topic is off limits, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable deep-diving into the “taboo,” from throuples to what the future of porn looks like. They should also have an authoritative yet colloquial tone of voice that would fit the Bustle audience.Candidates must also display a strong, individual voice with an understanding of inclusivity, feminism, and body positivity.
Candidates must have availability to work 3-4 shifts during the work week, M-F. Please detail your availability in your application.
The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Sex & Relationships Editor throughout their shift
- Ability to turn in clean, accurate, and well-sourced copy in a timely fashion and accept feedback
- Comfortable covering sensitive topics
- Follow Bustle style, writing/reporting guidelines and SEO best practices
- A sense for what the Bustle reader and what makes a Bustle story
- 2+ years of experience writing for an online publication
- Experience tracking down sources and spearheading interviews
- Pitch concise, well thought out story ideas on a weekly basis
- Write 4-6 stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Manage multiple articles at a time, switching between topics when necessary
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.
Company – Bustle
Website – https://www.bustle.com/