Bilingual, Internet & Ecommerce, Social Media, Online Content
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a part-time temporary contractor to work remotely for 20 hours a week from August or September until June 2021. The contractor will support movement allies, affiliates, and organizers interested in bringing high impact collections to Wikimedia projects.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Mentor a cohort of cultural institutions making large content contributions to develop shared practices for Structured Data on Commons, particularly for captions and copyright statements.
- Take part in monthly office hours for the wider Wikimedia-GLAM community.
- Analyze and document innovations and workflows, in order to inform and inspire Wikimedia communities and staff.
- Actively monitor communications to support the Wikimedia-GLAM community to stay in touch, network, document, and exchange practices.
- Facilitate information sharing and product alignment with volunteers maintaining software for GLAM-Wiki projects, such as OpenRefine, pywikibot, and Pattypan.
We’re looking for someone with these skills:
- A practical understanding of using linked open data and broad open platforms for sharing collections, including active use of Wikidata and/or Wikimedia Commons.
- Comfortable wrangling data with some experience scripting and using command line tools.
- A good track record of promoting digital skills development or shared practices through social media, written case studies, conference presentations, and/or workshop facilitation.
- Comfort working with product teams and supporting products in an open, networked ecosystem, through documentation and community consultation.
- Experience working with a distributed and remote team with people of diverse skill sets and backgrounds.
- Strong written and spoken English.
And it would be even more awesome if you have:
- Proficiency in languages other than English.
- An existing network of collaborators and contacts in international open knowledge, cultural heritage communities, or in the Wikimedia community.
- Experience working with communities that are not based in Europe or North America.
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
Company – Wikimedia Foundation
Website – https://wikimediafoundation.org/