College & University, Tutoring, Writing
$15.00 per hour
The purpose of this position is to tutor writers of all levels and disciplines in a variety of writing assignments and projects in face-to-face and online environments. Conduct group tutorials.
Design instructional materials. Create and facilitate interactive workshops. Contribute to Stone Writing Center’s social media, e.g., Twitter and blog. Supervise Students Assistants.
– Bachelor’s degree in English or related field.
Required Job Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Solid academic standing and strong writing abilities.
* Strong commitment to helping other students become more effective writers.
* Experience working with students from different cultural backgrounds, with students of all levels of ability, or with students who have special disabilities.
* Knowledge of documentation styles, including MLA and APA.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills with students, faculty, and staff.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word.
* Advanced communication skills to articulate appropriate suggestions for writing improvement.
* Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
* One year teaching or tutoring experience.
* One year of supervisory experience.
* Experience with social media such as Twitter and blogs.
* Knowledge of learning management systems (preferably Canvas).
* Experience using mobile devices in educational settings.
* Ability to work independently and to take initiative in fulfilling responsibilities
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a security-sensitive position. Employment resulting from this advertisement is subject to federal laws that require the verification of identity and the legal right to work in the United States. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background and reference checks. The College reserves the right to cancel or extend all recruitment actions. Del Mar College is an AA/EO employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The College is committed to diversity in its workforce.
* Tutor writers of all levels and disciplines on a variety of writing assignments and projects.
Conduct one-on-one writing consultations with students on campus or in an online environment.
* Assist students in interpreting an assignment sheet, talking through ideas for a paper, discussing course readings, or planning for a paper.
* Encourage students to consider choices with regard to audience, focus, purpose, reasoning, or organization.
* Enable students to acquire research strategies, integrate scholarly sources, and apply proper documentation (such as MLA or APA).
* Help students strengthen editing and proofreading skills, expand vocabulary, and better understand technical conventions of academic writing.
* Interact well with students from different cultural backgrounds, with students of all levels of ability, or with students who have special disabilities.
* Work effectively with students who speak English as a second language or students with special needs or circumstances.
* Conduct small group tutorials.
* Design instructional materials. Develop and facilitate workshops on selected topics.
* Market the Writing Center through classroom visits and other activities.
* Maintain The Fourth/ Stone Writing Center as a welcoming space for all.
* Supervise student assistants.
* Maintain tutoring records.
* Mentor newer tutors.
* Meet regularly with supervisor.
* Participate in on-going training.
* Maintain orderliness and operation of the Center (opening and closing, checking supplies, filing, administrative tasks, flexibility in work hours to ensure adequate coverage, etc.)
* Assist the Director and Assistant Instructors with administrative tasks and special projects, as needed.
Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.