Organ Donation Specialist
Full Job Description
Make a difference in the lives of others by helping give the gift of sight!
Lions VisionGift (LVG) is a nonprofit eye bank that obtains, evaluates and distributes eye tissue donated by caring individuals for use in cornea transplantation, research, and education. Since 1975, our organization has helped over 30,000 individuals receive sight-restoring transplants.
Please visit www.visiongift.org for more information on our organization.
LVG has an opening for a challenging and rewarding full-time Donation Specialist I position in our Portland location. The Donation Specialist is responsible for receiving and screening tissue donation referrals from a variety of sources in a call center setting. This position works closely with families of donors to obtain authorization and medical/social histories and facilitate the donation process.
This is a great opportunity for individuals who are compassionate problem solvers with excellent customer service skills who believe strongly in, and support, tissue donation. This position can be difficult but is extremely rewarding. Giving families a choice in a situation that is beyond their control helps creates a bridge between loss and hope. Your work ensures that our donor families’ loved ones live on, and that other people can live a better life.
We currently have two full-time and one part-time position open. The full-time positions are graveyard positions.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Receive new donor referrals from a variety of sources, including hospitals, funeral homes, and coroner offices.
- Approach and communicate with the families of donors by phone regarding the donation process.
- Perform initial donor screenings of referrals by gathering the donor’s medical information from a variety of sources, including hospitals and next of kin.
- Determine donor suitability for recovery of tissue.
- Become familiar and fluent with contraindications and donor suitability criteria.
- Coordinate tissue recoveries with LVG staff and other agencies.
In addition to the hourly wage, Lions VisionGift offers a generous benefit package including, but not limited to:
- Shift differentials for nights & weekends;
- Medical, dental, and vision employee premiums paid in full;
- Employer-funded HRA;
- $20,000 employer-paid life insurance policy;
- Employer-paid short-term disability;
- Voluntary benefits;
- And more!
A successful candidate will have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Computer proficiency, including experience with Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to type 30+ words per minute.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Willingness to follow standard operating procedures.
This position is learned through extensive on-the-job training, however preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Prior experience with cornea, organ, or tissue donation; the death care industry; or a related field.
- Two or more years of call center or referral center experience.
- College-level coursework or experience in the biological sciences or allied health.
- Experience with medical terminology.
- Demonstrated experience navigating time-sensitive or high-pressure situations.
Company -Lions VisionGift
Website: http://www.visiongift.org/Click Here to Apply