Job Category: Tutorial Assistant
Location: Work from anywhere (Global)
The tutorial assistant supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online Spanish courses.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Converse with students in the Spanish language via Skype.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, Skype and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Coordinate with the course instructor to conduct tutorial sessions.
- Report concerns with students, courseware, or systems to supervisor.
- Suggest improvements to course contents.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
Degree of Independent Action Performed on the Job:
Moderate degree of independent action.
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the Job:
Collaborative relationships with the World Language Program Manager, Spanish instructors, and CTY Online Programs administrators and staff. Frequent contact with students and parents via Skype, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
Native-like proficiency in Spanish language.
Minimum Required Education and Related Work Experience:
High school diploma/GED required; Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university preferred. Experience working as a tutor or teaching assistant for at least one semester.
Computer or other Special Needs for the Position:
Must have a computer with broadband Internet access; familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype.
Machines and/or Equipment Used on the Job, Include % of Time Used: Computer, 100%
Physical Requirements for the Job:
Ability to access and transmit information using a computer; dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery; the incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone, email, and Skype with internal and external audiences and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings; Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
- CTY Online Programs offer students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
Special Skills and Knowledge:
Demonstrated ability to teach students to develop their written and conversational skills in Spanish; experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds; extensive communication and organizational proficiencies along with excellent interpersonal skills.
How To ApplyClick Here to Apply