Accounting & Finance, Editing, News & Journalism, Reporter, Writing
As a news reporter, you will help consumers make sense of the latest developments in the world of personal finance. At the Balance, a Dotdash publication, we help readers understand how the news affects their lives and advise them on what they should do about it. News reporters will reinforce The Balance brand as a pillar of service journalism and should have a solid background in one or more of the following coverage areas: the economy, credit cards, mortgages, taxes, investing, retirement, insurance and financial planning. This is a contract role with potential for extension and can be considered for part time or full time.
Every day, hundreds of thousands of people rely on The Balance to make financial decisions. They are consumers, savers, entrepreneurs, investors, students, retirees, and professionals—anyone looking to improve their financial livelihood. You will help ensure we publish the most informative, accurate, and transparent information about financial products, legislation, regulatory changes, economic indicators, and trends in the financial markets.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of personal finance topics, and a strong editorial background, preferably in news.
About Your Contributions
In this role, you will:
- Write well-sourced, thorough and informative articles that engage our readers
- Have and develop a deep bench of sources that provide context and perspective to your coverage
- Be driven by a constant curiosity to get more and better answers
- Have a strong command of your beat and a willingness to learn more
- Meet regular deadlines, often daily, to produce top-notch content quickly
- Help the news editorial team set the daily agenda
You should have:
- At least three years writing or reporting for a digital publisher or news outlet, preferably covering a personal finance beat
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Strong editorial judgement
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and help make people smarter in their financial lives
- Availability part time or full time
- The ability to work remotely
It’s preferred if you have:
- News experience
- Financial credentials/background (e.g. MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP)
Company – The Balance
Website – https://www.thebalance.com/