Music, Education & Training, K-12, Online Teaching, Teaching
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, it delivered online learning to over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Our state certified virtual teachers manage online instructional programs for students around the country and across the globe. Teachers communicate regularly with students to ensure that each student successfully completes his/her instructional program. This is a work from home position. Compensation will be based on the specific course workload and number of enrolled students. Adjunct teachers are not provided with computer equipment but must have a reliable Internet connection.
The Music Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Support the instructional program with synchronous and asynchronous web conferencing sessions using Adobe® Connect™;
- Complete all grading by providing prompt, high-quality, personalized feedback on assignments;
- Communicate with students, and other teachers on a regular basis to update pacing plans/schedules for students as required;
- Use data to monitor successful completion of assignments and facilitate appropriate interactions with students that encourage consistent interaction with the course(s);
- Review curriculum and determine course modifications that will promote student achievement for those requiring accommodations through IEPs or 504 plans;
- Consult with team members and administrators to develop alternate enrichment activities and lesson modifications to increase student understanding and promote success for struggling or at-risk students through differentiation;
- Develop a general knowledge of the curriculum and a detailed knowledge of the courses for which you are responsible;
- Communicate regularly with students, using phone, Chat and our WebMail system;
- Adhere to all policies regarding protecting students’ well-being and personal information, including following FERPA and Copyright & Fair Use laws
- Keep student performance and participation information up-to-date by grading assessments in a timely manner, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Utilize a variety of communication tools in the online environment to effectively build relationships and promote student success with students, partner teachers, colleagues, and other stakeholders;
- Foster community and use a welcoming, warm online voice that is inviting and supportive towards students and families;
- Other duties as assigned.
Pearson Online & Blended Learning is focused on providing a flexible work environment to its employees, including the ability to work from home on a regular basis in most positions. We believe that flexibility in work/life balance is a critical part of our culture and employee satisfaction, and we are proud to provide to our employees the ability to work from anywhere, anytime. In exchange, we require that employees have the appropriate means to work remotely, including adherence to our work at home policies regarding home office setup, including but not limited to privacy of records, technology standards, equipment standards and expectations.
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as a part-time employee:
Computer (mouse, keyboard, webcam, microphone/speakers and/or headset), reliable high speed internet, and phone
You must be able to adhere to our Connectivity Requirements.
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Music with a valid state teaching certificate in Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Pennsylvania, or Texas. Certification in multiple states or content areas is a plus.
- Must have completed traditional teacher preparation program (not alternative certification) at an accredited college or university.
- Ability to obtain certification in other states as requested
- Log in daily to ensure emails, WebMail messages and phone calls are returned within 24 hours
- Provide feedback to students in a timely manner and grade assessments within the required timeframe
- Attend check-in meetings with your supervisor twice per month (or as scheduled)
- Adjunct teachers can expect to work up to 20 hours per week, including regular office hours (minimum of 3 hours per week), grading assessments, and hosting synchronous online sessions for each course assigned
- Adherence to department expectations for Adjunct Teachers, as directed
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed, to support some families
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced environment that requires significant flexibility, effective prioritization of tasks, self-direction, and creativity
- Understanding of IEP/504 plans and how they can be implemented in a virtual setting
- Strong technology skills (proficiency with Microsoft Office programs or Google Apps is preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and strong time management and organizational skills
- Customer focused approach and commitment to student achievement
Company – Pearson Online & Blended Learning K-12