At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus, delivering online learning to over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, also known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Working out of his/her home, the Math Specialist will engage small groups of elementary students in collaborative problem solving activities within a synchronous virtual classroom utilized by Connections Education schools. The Specialist will be responsible for working with students to develop a positive mindset toward math, engage in student-to-student oral and written discourse related to mathematical reasoning and problem solving, and apply their knowledge and understanding of skills and concepts. Specialists will be responsible for monitoring and engaging student activity within the virtual classroom at all times, and providing support/feedback, as well as logging student contacts.
This part-time position is for the 2018-2019 school year and is a 10-month position. Specialists’ availability should be flexible and may work up to five (5) days per week, Monday- Friday; for 3 or more hours per day and for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Possible shifts would fall within the following time frames: Monday through Friday 11:00 am. – 5:00 p.m. EST. Specialists will be working with students in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6.
* Through the use of LiveLesson®, engage small groups of elementary and middle school students in fun, collaborative problem solving activities within a synchronous virtual classroom
* Work with students to develop a positive mindset toward math, engage in student-to-student oral and written discourse related to mathematical reasoning and problem solving, and apply their knowledge and understanding of math skills and concepts;
* Work with students to develop knowledge in math concepts;
* Monitor activity within the virtual classroom at all times during hours of operation;
* Ensure necessary documentation is completed and adheres to Pearson requirements and standards for all students that have attended the math discourse session;
* Assist students with minor technical issues
* Work with Program Manager and specialists to develop consistency within LiveLessons®; and
* Other duties as assigned.
Pearson Online and Blended Learning is focused on providing a flexible work environment to its employees, including the ability to work from home on a regular basis in most positions. We believe that flexibility in work/life balance is a critical part of our culture and employee satisfaction, and we are proud to provide to our employees the ability to work from anywhere, anytime. In exchange, we require that employees have the appropriate means to work remotely, including adherence to our work at home policies regarding home office setup, including but not limited to privacy of records, technology standards, equipment standards and expectations.
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as the employee, when working from home:
* Laptop or desktop;
* High Speed Internet Access
* Headset or internal speaker and microphone installed in computer;
* Mouse (required); and
* Keyboard (required).
* Positive mathematical growth mindset;
* Deep knowledge of mathematical skills, concepts, and subject area;
* BA in education or mathematics related discipline is preferred;
* State teaching certification in Math is preferred;
* Experience with online instruction is a plus;
* Prior experience as tutor or educator is a plus;
* Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS,MS Office and Google Suite);
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with ability to lead students in collaborative problem solving
* Availability during the hours listed above for at least 15 hours per week; and
* Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment.
* Customer Centric – Acts with a strong customer mindset (both internal and external) and is a visible advocate for the customer. Builds strong relationships with customers and uses those to improve their experience and outcomes.
* Communications – A great communicator who works well in teams and with students in one-on-one to small group environment.
* Works well in a matrix – Demonstrates collaboration, problem solving skills, and is able to work under pressure.
* Takes personal responsibility – Can be relied on to complete tasks timely and well, demonstrates “ownership” regardless of the outcome, proactive in exploring and exploiting new opportunities.
* High level of integrity and transparency;
* High degree of flexibility;
* Positive attitude;
* Evidence of a strong work ethic;
* Customer focused approach; and
* Demonstrated team player.