Accounting & Finance, Bookkeeping, Administrative, Virtual Admin, HR & Recruiting, Operations
Wild Animal Initiative is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit working to understand and improve the lives of wild animals. To do this, we conduct scientific research, collaborate with experts, and help academics secure funding for high-impact projects.
The Operations Associate will accelerate our path to impact by overseeing the financial, legal, and cultural health of our organization.
The success of our mission depends on the diversity of our team. We strongly encourage people of every color, age, orientation, gender, origin, and physical ability to apply.
Application deadline: Friday, June 12, 2020
Time: 20-30 hours per week
Salary: $20,000-$35,000 (depending on hours, experience, and location)
Manager: Executive Director Michelle Graham (email@example.com)
Desired start date: July 1 (flexible)
Listed in descending order of estimated time spent on each category.
- Financial management: Handling routine bookkeeping, running payroll, preparing financial reports, reimbursing staff for expenses.
- Human resources: Fostering an inclusive and enjoyable work environment, managing hiring processes, administering onboarding and other training, managing benefits, coordinating performance review and feedback systems.
- Legal compliance: Liaising with our professional service providers (PEO, accountants, lawyers) to ensure the timely filing of all mandated reports, maintaining appropriate insurance policies, maintaining updated documentation.
- Logistics: Organizing schedule, software, and/or travel details for events such as webinars, academic workshops, conferences, and retreats.
- Assorted: Pitching in on other projects as necessary.
Listed in descending order of importance to candidate evaluation.
- Permission to work in the United States of America. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor visa applications or transfers at this time.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including internal motivation to meet deadlines and extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to research operations and legal questions with high reliability and accuracy, including the ability to ask for help or seek out expertise as necessary.
- Experience in one or more of the following: nonprofit legal compliance, human resources, database management.
- Familiarity with common challenges to diversity, equity, and inclusion in American workplaces and how to overcome them.
- Comfort working independently and remotely, staying focused even when tasks are routine or monotonous.
- (Preferred) Understanding of and enthusiasm for Wild Animal Initiative’s unique mission.
- (Preferred) Strong writing and editing skills.
- (Preferred) Experience in operations or human resources management at a remote, multi-state nonprofit.
- (Preferred) Strong understanding of bookkeeping fundamentals.
- (Preferred) Familiarity with Google Drive, Quickbooks, Salesforce, Justworks, or Funraise.
- Health care benefits eligibility at 30 hours/week.
- Four weeks of paid vacation, 12 holidays, two weeks of sick leave.
- A fully remote work environment that allows you to choose when and where you work.
- A friendly, open work culture that encourages feedback, collaboration, and evidence-based innovation.
- Opportunities for advancement as our team and programs continue to grow.
Open the application form by clicking “Apply now” in the banner above (please do not email your application directly). Using the form, please provide a resume describing your educational, professional, and any other relevant experience (PDF, no more than one page) and a cover letter making the case for your ability to excel in this role (PDF, no more than one page).
We will get back to you by June 16th to update you on the status of your application.
Successful first-round applicants will be invited to complete a work task for the second round.
Successful second-round applicants will be invited to a video interview for the third and final round.
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time with any questions about the position or the application process.
Company – Wild Animal Initiative
Website – https://www.wildanimalinitiative.org/