Art & Creative, Theater, Customer Service, Education & Training, Travel & Hospitality
To be discussed.
Serves as an on-site ambassador for the Museum by providing exceptional informal engagement, using visitor focused discovery learning and/or performance techniques. InterActors deliver programs, usually in character, throughout the museum on a variety of topics and through a range of formats which may include or combine demonstration, scripted performance, character enactment, direct instruction, or inquiry-based learning.
Part Time Temporary, through June 30, 2017, 3-4 days per week, including some weekends and occasional evenings. Additional hours and days may be offered on a limited basis. Requires script study & memorization, performance, character work, and some script writing. Discovery Place is a member of The International Museum Theatre Alliance (IMTAL).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Embraces situations in which visitor expectations are successfully fulfilled and the organization is highlighted through interactions.
a. Perform programs for visitors and school groups, including set up and take down of sets, props, seating (when applicable), gathering audience, and conducting post performance discussions, as appropriate.
b. Engage in on-going reading and research in order to facilitate discussions with visitors.
c. Be informed and answer visitor questions about general museum information, programs, and activities.
d. Understand and follow Discovery Place’s procedures and policies.
2. Collaborate across divisions while following museum wide standards to support business strategy.
a. Participate in rehearsals and training sessions as assigned by Supervisor.
b. Maintain cleanliness of costumes and uniforms, perform minor repairs, and notify Supervisor of larger repairs needed.
c. Maintain required records, schedules, and physical work spaces.
d. Attend meetings as assigned.
e. Develops effective working relationships with staff, volunteers and others in a friendly, professional manner;
provides excellent internal and external customer service.
Education: Theatre degree preferred, background and/or strong interest in one or more science fields.
Experience: Demonstrated strong performance skills and commitment to educational theatre;
Previous performing experience, improvisation, and formal training in theatre arts desired.
Should be comfortable handling animals (primarily reptiles), or receiving training to do so.
Work a flexible weekday, weekend, and evening schedule, as applicable.
Competency – Cognitive Skills
1. Able to read, understand, and follow all reporting procedures.
2. English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Bilingual English/Spanish is desirable but not required.
3. Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Competency – Physical Skills
1. Lifting/Standing – Able to lift up to 40 pounds. May work off floor level on ladders, grids, or special sets. Stand/Walk for long periods.
2. Oral Expression – Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so that others will understand.
3. Memorization – Ability to remember information such as words, numbers, pictures, and procedures.
4. Written Comprehension – Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
Employees of Discovery Place uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply