Full Job Description
Lambda School is on a mission to pioneer a new model of accessible higher education with no upfront costs and where the school invests in the students instead of the other way around. We are rethinking learning so that we can address the needs of both students and employers in tandem. We’re a progressive alternative to traditional college and fast track bootcamps. Lambda is an intensive program and an immersive live, online curriculum that teaches people the hard and soft skills they need to launch a new tech career. We offer both full time and part time courses to our students.
Lambda has successfully completed funding rounds with premier tier venture investors and we have students in almost every State across the United States. We’re looking for passionate, talented people who want to change the way the world thinks about higher education and unlock human potential, regardless of circumstance.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. Lambda School welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
About the Company
We started Lambda School because we believe that the “traditional” model of higher education is broken. Every year, people as young as 17 years old take on tens of thousands of dollars in student debt and pray that the education they’re investing in will land them on a job on the other side.
Unfortunately, traditional colleges and universities have no incentive to ensure their graduates get hired – they get paid regardless.
At Lambda School, we believe there is a better way to approach education.
Instead of asking our students to bet on us, we bet on them first. Lambda’s model is built on Income Share Agreements (ISAs) – our students pay no tuition upfront, and agree to pay back 17% of their income post-graduation for two years, but only once they’re making $50,000 or more. And if they don’t find a high-paying job after 60 months of deferred payments? They pay nothing. This paradigm-shifting model allows us to align the incentives of the school with the incentives of our students – and we all win when our graduates succeed.
We’re in this together.
About the Role
As Instructor Manager, you will be responsible for the sourcing, hiring, onboarding, ongoing professional development, and day-to-day management of our best-in-class instructors for one of our programs. You will manage and coach our instructors with various technical backgrounds including data science, software development, product management, and design.
You will also execute the operations and logistics behind our live instruction model including budget and planning, vendor management, scheduling, and ongoing data analysis in order to continuously maximize efficiency and quality. You will ensure that instructors adhere to Lambda School’s policies and procedures in order to best support our learners.
This is a highly visible, internal-facing role that will report directly to the Director of Instruction.
What you’ll do:
- Source, hire, onboard, and coach subject matter expert instructors for one of our programs
- Oversee the instructional quality, online classroom management and delivery, and policies and procedures of your program
- Conduct regular, ongoing evaluations of instructional quality and adherence to policies and procedures for the instructors in your program
- Run the live instruction operations for your program including scheduling, substitutions, on-call protocol, interventions and escalations, and curriculum support
- Accountable for instructor quality, professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of every instructor in your program
- Work cross-functionally with many teams across the school and company to complete challenging initiatives
- Act as the subject matter expert for instructional needs related to your program across the company (product, legal, sales, external partnerships, etc.)
- Ensure there is an ongoing, actionable feedback loop between instruction, instructional design, outcomes, operations, etc.
- Use data to make informed decisions and take necessary action regarding the quality of instruction of your program
- Communicate and train instructors on new projects or changes to existing programs when necessary
What you’ll have:
- Proficient in instructional best practices such as lesson planning, differentiation, assessments, learner performance data analysis, and effective online classroom management
- A former educator ideally with 2+ years in adult education management or administration
- Prior experience managing multiple people or teams
- Familiarity with or subject matter expertise in one or more of the disciplines we teach
- Able to confidently give constructive, actionable feedback to people of diverse professional and personal backgrounds
- Highly organized, process-oriented and documentation and knowledge management guru
- Strong understanding of EdTech landscape for higher education and corporate markets
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, lead by example, and motivate teams
- Experience working in a high-paced environment that iterates on weekly or monthly cycles rather than semester or annual cycles
- Experience working with a product and engineering organization
Lambda School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lambda School is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.
Company – Red Lambda
Website: https://lambdaschool.com/red-lambdaClick Here to Apply