Tutoring, Education, Mathematics
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
The CTY Online Tutorial Assistant – Math will work with online instructors and supervisors to complete a variety of tasks related to math course instruction and delivery.
Each Tutorial Assistant will work with one or two subject areas, such as: elementary mathematics, competitive mathematics, cryptology, chess, other enrichment courses, middle school mathematics, high school mathematics, AP mathematics, and college level mathematics Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
Note: This position is not benefits eligible.
Note: Multiple positions available.
Note: The position is not eligble for visa sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Math Tutorial Assistant responsibilities will vary, and may include:
- Running, planning, staffing, and troubleshooting weekly group sessions for a particular course via videoconferencing technologies.
- Staffing, leading, or working with students in clubs for courses related to chess, cryptology, competitive math, and other enrichment topics.
- Proofreading, editing, and monitoring the quality and accuracy of final course evaluation documents submitted by instructors in a given course.
- Assisting with course development tasks as assigned.
- Assisting with quality control and accessibility of online courses, including checking images.
- Working closely with course supervisors on course related issues.
- Working as a team member to provide support to CTY Online Programs instructors and supervisors, as necessary.
- Submitting hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, education, or related field.
- JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Knowledge or ability to learn basic HTML, LaTeX, and Moodle
- Familiarity with online education technologies a plus, such as Zoom and Teams
- Proofreading and editing skills
- Teaching or tutoring background with a school age (K-12) audience
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- The ability to work with a virtual, diverse, population.
- Positive, proactive, and professional written and spoken communication skills using various technology is critical.
- Must be student-oriented.
Computer or other special needs for this position:
- Must have a computer with broadband internet access.
- A successful candidate must be fluent with email, virtual conference software, and be able to adapt to new educational technologies such as Learning Management Systems and methods of communicating mathematics with students.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Ability to access and transmit information using a computer
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with Supervisor.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Note: This position is not benefits eligible.
- Note: Multiple positions available.
- Note: The position is not eligble for visa sponsorship.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and must either live in the US or another area in which JHU has a business entity.
- The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
Company – Johns Hopkins University
Website – https://www.jhu.edu/Click Here to Apply