Crisis Intervention Specialist
Pay: $21.50 an hour
Full Job Description
Reports To: Crisis Lines Shift Supervisor
About the Organization: Lines for Life is a non-profit dedicated to building hope every day by preventing substance abuse and suicide and promoting mental wellness. We have served thousands of people with addiction, mental health and suicide intervention services, treatment referral and drug prevention education. According to Oregon Business, Lines for Life is one of the 100 Best Nonprofits to Work for in the state.
Position Summary: This position answers calls on all of Lines for Life’s crisis and referral lines with care and compassion, and within the scope of the program. We are regularly seeking full-time, part-time and on-call candidates.
Crisis Intervention Specialists will receive clinical skills training including how to use the Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) model on crisis lines and completing a 5-day training specifically for the Veteran’s Crisis Line. If you are passionate about helping people in crisis, have a degree in a related behavioral health science field, and have strong active listening and empathy skills, then we encourage you to apply.
- Demonstrate the culture of Lines for Life by modeling behavior that supports the organization’s goals and philosophies.
- Answer calls on all of Lines for Life’s crisis lines with compassion in accordance with the organization’s training expectations and scope. Lines for Life receives calls on a variety of crisis lines including but not limited to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, veterans and military crisis lines, its YouthLine, its Senior Loneliness Line, an alcohol and drug helpline, hospital mental health crisis lines, county mental health crisis lines, and a sexual assault resource line.
- Document calls in an accurate and timely manner with relevant clinical information in an electronic health record system.
- Place follow-up calls to clients as scheduled by the shift supervisor.
- Assist with placing rescue calls as needed when other crisis lines staff or volunteers are on acute calls requiring emergency assistance.
- Triage calls and collaborate with coworkers to manage call flow and ensure that the lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Complete mandatory trainings and workshops to remain knowledgeable about the latest policies and protocols and equipped to apply crisis intervention tools & techniques.
- Perform other duties, such administrative and organizational tasks as needed.
- Able to meet Qualified Mental Health Associate requirements
- Crisis intervention knowledge
- Strong empathy, communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Able to handle high levels of stress
- Proficient in web-based computer environment and multi-line phone system
- Understanding of and ability to apply mental health assessment, treatment and service terminology
- Able to implement skill development strategies and to identify, implement and coordinator the services and supports identified in Individual Service and Support Plan (ISSP).
- Able to work independently in triaging calls so that lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Graduate degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field OR CADC/Bachelor’s degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field AND relevant crisis intervention experience
- Veterans preferred
- ASIST certification
- CADC certification strongly preferred
- Experience in a call center environment
- The work schedule will be determined at a later point in time and is based upon Lines for Life’s call volume trends.
- This position requires working some holidays and working weekends (most staff work Saturday and Sunday, and some work both days of the weekend).
- Work is primarily conducted in an office environment and requires the ability to sit or stand and work on a computer for long periods of time. Due to COVID-19, this position may be remote only. Telecommuting requires passing a clinical evaluation, having a HIPAA compliant work space at home, and meeting technology requirements. Supervisors provide support to telecommuters by listening in on acute calls and using an internal messaging system (Microsoft Teams) to communicate. Training must be completed at the SW Portland office.
- This position requires high energy, patience and controlling one’s emotions, as well as the ability to think analytically.
Compensation Package: The starting salary for the Crisis Intervention Specialist position is $23.50/hr. for individuals with graduate degrees in a related field and $21.50/hr. for individuals with Bachelor’s degrees. Lines for Life also offers a 10% shift differential when employees work the overnight shift. Lines for Life also offers a great benefits package valued at over $9,500 that includes full coverage for employee health, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance premiums; a matching 401K plan; a flexible spending plan; an employee assistance program; a free fitbit and gym access.
Lines for Life also has the ability to provide clinical supervision to staff working toward licensure, so we encourage you to apply!
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
Lived Experience: Lines for Life encourages individuals with lived experience to apply. This includes individuals who have undertaken their own recovery journey or supported someone through a recovery journey from mental health conditions, suicidal struggles, and/or substance abuse. They have the capacity to draw upon and use their own lived experiences to help others and prevent suicide and substance abuse and promote mental wellness.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.
All Lines for Life employees must be approved to work by the Oregon Department of Human Services’ Background Check Unit. Background checks are completed after a conditional offer of employment has been extended.
Company – Lines For Life
Website: https://www.linesforlife.org/Click Here to Apply