HR, Admin, Accounting
School of Motion is looking for a Controller/HR Manager to optimize accounting systems and help run the day-to-day of Finance and People Ops for a growing company.
School of Motion is looking to add a Controller/HR Manager to our team. In this position, you will be responsible for ensuring the efficiency of day-to-day operations and financials, including bookkeeping, account reconciliation, payroll, and more. This position will report to the President.
The primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Responsible for AP, AR, and Payroll
- Assistance with Cash Flow Analyses, Forecasting, Budgets, and general financial health reports
- Ownership of the Chart of Accounts in Quickbooks Online
- Calculate, disperse and track product royalties
- Proper categorization of all expenses as they relate to specific products.
- Reconciliation of all bank accounts as needed
- Coordination with coworkers and department managers to ensure accurate categorization of all expenses
- Assistance with quarterly and annual department budgets and adherence to budgets
- Work with CPA to properly pay quarterly taxes and process year end tax filings
- Assist with setting up new hires and terminations
- Assist with benefits coordination and 401K payments
- Assists in the management of Group Health, and Dental Insurance enrollments, billing, payments, processing of new hire and annual enrollment insurance applications, and assists with problem resolution.
- Assist with the review process for all team members.
- Assists in the processing of unemployment claims
- Maintains all personnel records and handles all requests for associate reference verifications.
- Help develop training materials to help ensure employees understand their job responsibilities
- Investigate employee issues and conflicts and brings them to resolution
- Ensure the organization’s compliance with local, state and federal regulations
- Oversee processing of all employee status changes with payroll including new hires, changes, and terminations. Basic administrative responsibilities (copying, faxing, correspondence and reporting)
Completes special assignments as requested.
The right person for this role will be eager to develop the process and procedures for School of Motion’s financial reporting and budget creation and have recent first-hand professional experience establishing the accounting functions of a small business.
This is not an entry-level role. To succeed in this role, you must:
- Understand generally accepted accounting practices and procedures
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or similar field and/or CPA certification and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Have experience in working in a fully distributed team (a huge plus)
- Have worked in a controller capacity at an e-commerce company or company that deals with royalties
- Be able to demonstrate from a recent position an example of concrete analytical problem-solving skills
- Confident in creating and explaining various financial reports to members of company management who do not have a financial background
- Experienced in creating quarterly forecasting and budgets in conjunction with the CEO and President
- Proactive in problem-solving and comfortable collaborating with team members and asking for help/clarification
- Familiar with digital tools such as Slack, Zoom, Bill.com, and Airtable, and/or comfortable learning new apps
This is a part-time position that will require approximately 20 hours per week which could easily move into full time if the candidate desires. Hours are flexible, but an example of an ideal schedule for this position would be Monday – Thursday, 10 am – 3 pm Eastern time.
About School of Motion:
At School of Motion, we’re trying to reinvent the way students learn online by combining the best parts of a traditional brick-and-mortar school with technology that allows our students to receive elite Motion Design training from anywhere in the world. Our mission is to break down the barriers to learning, mastering, and working in Motion Design. We currently have ten comprehensive courses, over 5,000 Alumni, dozens of Teaching Assistants, and a small team of full-time staff working diligently to keep everything running! And this is only the beginning…
Our Core Values:
Our core values embody our team dynamic and our voice. We are rebellious, helpful, effective, playful, and curious. If you would like to work with us, you should be all of these things too:
- We don’t like to do things just because they’ve always been done that way. Be skeptical of the status quo and constantly improve.
- There is no such thing as “not my job”. Help out in any way you can, and don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
- We do things fast and smart. We automate if it makes sense. We skip the meeting if it’s not immediately beneficial to the mission.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously, it’s only Animation.
- Have interests, pursue them ruthlessly. Share your weirdness.
Some important information:
While School of Motion does not discriminate on the basis of citizenship or national origin, we may only employ United States citizens and people who are authorized to work in the United States. As long as you meet those criteria, you can work from wherever you’re comfortable! We’re a fully remote team that primarily operates on Eastern Standard Time.
Company – School of Motion
Website – https://www.schoolofmotion.com/