The core function of this position is to produce written News content for our audience of independent and conservative readers. We are looking for someone able to isolate an intriguing aspect of a news story and communicate it in a clear, concise manner. He or she should bring a sense of integrity and strong value system to the position. Our ideal candidate for this position will have a thorough understanding of current events and the media’s role in informing the public. This position requires one to three articles per day, several days per week, but the specific schedule can vary.
Articles will appear in the News section of The Western Journal under your byline. You may read more about The Western Journal here and view our Editorial Standards and Guidelines here.
We will pick a topic and headline for you, as well as provide a source article to get you started. (The source will need to be fact-checked for accuracy, of course.) This process can be iterative, of course — sometimes the initial headline or angle of the story will need modification as more information becomes known about a given topic. In most cases, you will need to do additional research to ensure that you have a thorough grasp of the topic and can write at least 340 words and 16 paragraphs about it in a thoughtful and credible fashion.
We pay a starting rate of $15-20 per article, depending on experience and skill level.
- Conduct research and analysis on topics and events assigned by editorial team
- Report on current events happening in US elections, domestic and international affairs, cultural issues and other relevant topics
- Construct arguments to support truth in honest and accurate reporting
- Fact-check statements, data, evidence and other elements to support claims in reporting
- Accept feedback from story editors and apply new knowledge to writing for our highly engaged audience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Keen interest in news, current events and politics
- Ability to interact with colleagues and field contacts
- Ability to adapt to the inherent changes of an evolving and growing company
- Passion for writing and a firm grasp of grammatical structure
- Experience with WordPress or other CMS is a plus
- Experience writing for a print or online news outlet is a plus
- Knowledge of AP Style is a plus
Company – Western Journal
Website – https://www.westernjournal.com/