Contract Copy Editor
Pay: $30 an hour
Full Job Description
As a contract copy editor for The Balance, you will review the work of freelance editors, ensuring all articles meet quality standards, and follow project instructions and brand guidelines. You will also offer new and veteran editors feedback and revisions to improve the overall editing process. This is a remote position, but applicants must live within the United States and be able to commit at least 20 hours per week. The successful candidate must provide clips that demonstrate their expertise with relevant subject matter. The rate for this role would be $30 per hour.
About Your Contributions:
- You will review and edit updated articles, ensuring that the editor’s update work follows the specific project instructions, The Balance and Dotdash guidelines, and puts the reader first—all while meeting Dotdash’s standard for quality content.
- You will coach newly hired editors throughout their first few projects, providing them feedback on each article they update and notes for revisions, when necessary.
- You will spot check veteran editors work to ensure they still meet the Dotdash standards, and provide them with feedback.
- At least four years experience writing or editing in the business and finance sectors (ideally consumer-friendly, actionable articles)
- Extensive knowledge of most of the following: human resources/hiring/resume-writing, small business financing/marketing, real estate, debt management, paying for college (before and after), portfolio diversification, dividend investing, and value investing
- Able to easily adopt an established brand voice, and adhere to strict brand and style guidelines like a pro.
- Great editor, and consider yourself “nit-picky” at times. You know the difference between an en-dash and an em-dash.
- Excellent communicator, and comfortable giving feedback, whether positive or negative, to a team member.
- Comfortable working in a content management system.
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and independent
- Experience as a financial adviser, banker, mortgage broker, or similar profession a major plus
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree a plus
- Relevant professional certifications (CFA, CPA, CMT) also a plus
Please attach four clips for us to review that demonstrate your subject matter expertise and writing skills; links and pdfs are both acceptable.
Dotdash’s vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. Dotdash is among the largest and fastest-growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday’s 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a firstname.lastname@example.org account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to email@example.com.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Company – Dotdash
Website: https://www.dotdash.com/Click Here to Apply