Bilingual, Communications, Social Media
To be discussed.
The Borneo Project brings international attention and support to community-led efforts to defend forests, sustainable livelihoods, and human rights. Through grantmaking, network building, and advocacy we have worked for over twenty-five years to craft and implement strategic support for indigenous allies and communities in Malaysian Borneo with their initiatives to protect their lands and cultures. We believe that protecting human rights and environmental integrity in Borneo is a critical component of the global movement for a just and peaceful world. For more information see www.borneoproject.org.
The right candidate does not have to be an expert on Borneo, but does need to have a passion for international environmental justice, indigenous rights, and international solidarity campaigning.
This is a small organization. The right candidate must assume many roles and must be a highly organized self-starter. The successful candidate will be excited to work on both a local and international field.
Job Description: The Communications and Media Manager will lead implementation of communications and social media strategy, and will provide direct development support to the Executive Director. Tasks include (but are not limited to) the following:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Communications and Social Media
* Monitor news outlets and partner organizations for press releases and articles
* Research and compose relevant and timely blog posts about indigenous rights and current events in Malaysia
* Develop, implement, and manage social media strategy; regularly update social media feeds with current, breaking and/or relevant Borneo-related news; generate creative and engaging material for social media
* Assist with graphic design projects as needed
* Update Borneo Project websites as needed
* Research, develop and implement effective social marketing and engagement tools
* Draft press releases and network with media contacts
* Draft monthly e-newsletters
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Commitment to social, and environmental justice, indigenous rights, bottom-up social change, and building social movements.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially copywriting and persuasive, targeted writing skills
* Ability to manage details, meet deadlines, and problem-solve
* Ability to work independently and multi-task with high degree of project and time-management capacity
* Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Documents
* Must be organized, detail-oriented, and flexible
* Social media knowledge and experience required
* Language skills: Indonesian/Malay a plus, but not necessary
* Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience
* Experience with Salesforce or other CRMs preferred
The position is 16 hours/week, with the potential to expand into a full time position. Hours are flexible, with the potential to work from home part of the time and from our lovely office in downtown Oakland, California. One day per week in the office required. Specific regular days/hours to be discussed during the interview process, and finalized at the time of hire. Occasional weekend and evenings also required as part of weekly hours worked. Must be based in the Bay Area.
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply