Pay: $17 an hour
Full Job Description
HarperCollins Children’s Books seeks an editorial intern with a passion for graphic novels and children’s literature to join our recently launched graphic novel imprint, HarperAlley. HarperAlley is a collaborative, creator-focused publisher of graphic novels for readers of all ages, with a focus on early reader, middle-grade, and young adult titles. The highly motivated candidate will support the Editorial Director and Associate Editor.
Our spring program will be completely remote. The program has been structured to allow for as much flexibility as possible, while also providing valuable educational programming and time for team-building amongst interns. The program will run from March 1 through May 7. Interns will be required to work 14 OR 21 hours per week at $17/hour, depending on the availability of the intern. Once the schedule is confirmed at the beginning of the program, the intern will not be able to switch between the 14 and 21 hour option. The recruitment team is searching for applicants who identify with groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the publishing industry.
Please submit a separate cover letter for each opportunity you apply to – applications without cover letters will not be considered.
You can submit up to five different cover letters at a time by uploading them to your profile and naming them after the positions.
- Provides editorial support to Editorial Director and Associate Editor.
- Read behind manager and provide detailed feedback on select titles.
- Read and evaluate submissions and draft reader reports and rejection letters.
- Draft selling, catalog, and flap copy.
- Attend meetings with Editorial, Design, Marketing, Sales, and Managing Editorial.
- Miscellaneous administrative duties.
- Must be looking for a full-time role/eligible to work in a full-time capacity in 2021/2022
- Weekly hours are flexible however, applicants MUST be available on Monday, March 1 from 12-3pm EST for orientation and every Friday during the 10 weeks from 1-2:30pm EST for programming
- Applicants must be eligible to work and be paid in the United States
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and ClipStudio strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of social media platforms a must
- Passion for graphic novels/understanding and awareness of the graphic novel industry a must
- Applicants MUST submit a cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered
- Why must I be available on the dates noted above?
- In order to have the most fulfilling experience possible while still allowing for flexibility, we have grouped classes and team building into blocks of time that interns can prepare for in advance. This programming is interactive.
- Why is it 14 OR 21 hours per week?
- We wanted to allow for flexibility for those who may have classes or a part-time job.
- Can I work on weekends?
- Working on weekends is not permitted. Our office hours are M-F 9-5 EST but some flexibility outside of this window will be allowed but must be worked out with supervisor in advance.
- What is the application deadline?
- The deadline to apply is 11:59pm EST on Friday, January 22.
Company – HarperCollins Publishers
Website: https://www.harpercollins.com/Click Here to Apply