Education, Library Science
Room to Read establishes school libraries in places where the concept of children’s libraries is new, and we need to build a collection of children’s books from scratch. These libraries are usually established in separate rooms but sometimes, when a school cannot spare the space for a separate library, we support classroom library collections.
In addition, the countries where Room to Read works do not have developed children’s book publishing industries, so Room to Read supports the development and publishing of books that fill gaps on the market.
Given how new children’s libraries are for the communities we serve around the world, Room to Read needs to do a lot of advocacy around children’s library collections with diverse stakeholders including school staff, publishers, and governments. Research-based recommendations for children’s book collections, based on global best practices, will support these advocacy efforts and further inform our own approach to establishing children’s libraries.
Scope of Work:
The consultant will compile research-based recommendations for a children’s book collection for children in elementary school (grades 1 to 5) that consider aspects like the number of books per child, representation of different book genres and the proportion of books in each genre, the place for leveled readers, and representation of diverse populations in the collection. The recommendations for children’s book collections should be accompanied by relevant citations and should be presented in three tiers—Minimum, Standard and Exemplary—in recognition of the range that is possible in the creation of a children’s book collection. The consultant should draw on recommendations for school libraries from library associations around the world, research by early literacy specialists, and other sources as appropriate.
Guidance should also be provided on:
- best practices for organizing book collections in children’s libraries (considering general levels of the books as well as the different genres/types of books in the collection)
- considerations for classroom library book collections vs separate “full” libraries
- metrics of success for children’s libraries (such as book checkout rate)
Children’s Book Consultant ideally has:
- A demonstrated passion for children’s books and children’s librarianship
- A Master’s degree in Library Science or Early Childhood Education
- At least 5 years’ experience as an active children’s librarian at a school/public library or experience using children’s books to support literacy development in young children
- Experience working in diverse communities or multi-cultural/international experience
While the days and times worked can be flexible, the consultant needs to be available to complete this project before the end of December 2020.
- Global Office – Remote – United States
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Company – Room to Read
Website – https://www.roomtoread.org/