Administrative, College & University
16.39 USD / Hourly
This is an intermittent position. Intermittent positions are part-time, on-call, as needed type of positions and you are permitted to work up to 1,000 hours in a fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).
Provides administrative support to assist administrators and faculty in achieving department goals through liaison activities, coordination of daily business functions, and implementation of programs/projects.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Serves as liaison and acts on behalf of administrator in dealings with people within (e.g., Directors, Chairpersons, etc.) and outside the University (e.g., representatives of agencies, professional contacts, etc.); represents administrator at meetings and conferences; may make presentations at meetings and conferences; independently composes non-routine correspondence on behalf of supervisor and/or under own signature.
Coordinates and monitors multiple department budgets and expense accounts; approves expenditures and signs various financial forms; researches and reconciles discrepancies; assists in budget projections. Assists in the administration of department programs/projects; ensures compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations originating within and outside the University; participates in departmental procedures and policy changes; researches and analyzes information; drafts and composes reports; provides technical advice and information to aid administrator in decision making; answers questions and resolves problems concerning administration of program and projects. Directs the work of other clerical/secretarial staff and student employees by training, evaluating, assigning duties, and providing information about changes in department and University policies and procedures; may make hiring, firing, and disciplinary recommendations. May coordinate and monitor personnel actions (e.g., recruitment, tenure, promotion, etc.); serves as liaison between department and individuals affected by the personnel actions and other relevant departments (e.g., Personnel, Payroll, etc.); maintains personnel records and files; ensures personnel policies and procedures are followed. May assist with special projects. Performs related duties as required.
High school diploma or equivalent plus completion of 12 to 18 months formal training in management science, public administration or related field (or equivalent training or experience which provides comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities). A minimum of two years experience in providing secretarial/administrative support in increasingly demanding positions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Skill in interpersonal communication to effectively interact with University personnel and public in person and over the telephone (e.g., to explain information, explain policies and procedures, handle sensitive inquiries, etc.).
* Ability to resolve problems independently and make decisions.
* Knowledge of bookkeeping/accounting procedures and terminology.
* Ability to define problems, collect data, and draw valid conclusions.
* Ability to apply policies and procedures.
* Ability to train and provide effective work direction to other employees.
* Ability to manage time effectively and set priorities.
* Ability to carry out or assist in implementing changes.
* Ability to establish and implement office procedures.
* Ability to establish methods to gather, collate, and classify information.
* Ability to read and comprehend a variety of written information.
* Ability to operate a computer for word processing and data management; knowledge of specific software may be preferred.
* Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
* Skill in public speaking, if required by position.
* Skill in written communication (e.g., to compose reports, speeches, correspondence and memos).
* Ability to maintain accurate records.
* Ability to perform basic mathematics (e.g., add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals, and to calculate percentages).
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply