Academic Coach, Proofreader
Full Job Description
What We Are Looking For
NCU is currently seeking a dynamic individual to become part of our Academic Success Center team as an Academic Coach-Proofreader specializing in written communication skills.
Part-time virtual Academic Coaches-Proofreaders are responsible for providing academic assistance to Northcentral University students through asynchronous coaching sessions. Proofreaders assist students in developing strong written communication skills. Proofreaders will identify the student’s unique learning strengths, develop individual plans for academic support, and promote self-confidence and independence.
- Assist students in understanding the foundation of scholarly writing and using an academic voice, allowing them to relate the concepts across all courses as well as in their personal and professional life.
- Assist students in understanding APA guidelines related specifically to written communication and quantitative reasoning.
- Implement best practices in working with adult online students at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- Use effective communication skills to assist students with diverse issues, cultural differences, and varying levels of English proficiency
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Provide asynchronous screencast or written coaching feedback.
- Assist students in becoming autonomous, self-directed learners.
- Provide post-coaching session feedback to students.
- Maintain records of student contact.
- Engage in the assessment of student learning.
- Help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the necessary resources to aid in success.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies, and goals; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Stay current with organizational, educational, and faculty development policies that affect the ASC.
- Continually improve coaching skills.
- Support the mission of the ASC within Northcentral University.
- Participate in required training, coaching, and other activities that promote high-quality coaching.
- Attend team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the ASC Associate Director and/or Coordinator.
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill requirements of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of adult learning theories and cognitive load theory.
- Graduate-level written communication skills.
- Developmental editing skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of APA style guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper paraphrasing.
- Ability to work in an online environment.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Skill in operating equipment, such as personal computer and phone system.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with aggressive goals and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to establish online rapport and maintain a friendly, helpful, patient attitude and demeanor.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree (required) or some doctoral work (preferred) in a relevant field from a regionally accredited institution
- Demonstrated success working with non-traditional (adult) students required.
- Tutoring or academic coaching certification or evidence of university teaching excellence required.
- Previous success in tutoring, academic coaching, or teaching written communication required.
- Ability to provide personalized instruction in non-technical language based on students’ unique strengths and growth areas with little to no preparation required.
- Experience in an online learning environment required.
- Proficiency in using technology in the delivery of education required.
- Experience working with online doctoral students preferred.
- Demonstrated success in guiding doctoral students through dissertation completion preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred.
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications.
This position operates in a remote, home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones.
Who We Are
Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally-relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university. As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business and technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy. NCU utilizes a one-to-one learning model—one student is paired with a professor in each course—to create a more personalized, individual experience for students enhanced by their professors’ real-world experience. NCU professors all hold doctoral degrees, and none of our programs have residency requirements, allowing access to students no matter where they live.
Additionally, with the exception of the Department of Marriage and Family Sciences, within the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, all of NCU’s programs are delivered 100% online.
With administrative offices in Scottsdale, Arizona and San Diego, California, as well as students, alumni and faculty in more than 50 countries, NCU is an excellent choice for professionals around the world who share our passion for excellence. We envision growth trends to continue, and eagerly seek highly-credentialed and enthusiastic individuals to join our team.
Are you ready to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to join a growing team of passionate individuals who work together to help others fulfill their dreams through higher education?
Company – National Education Partners
Website: https://nationaled.org/Click Here to Apply