Communications, Education & Training, College & University, Teaching, Research, Writing
2,900.00 USD / Project
Purpose of Position: To teach 1-3 sections of the Summer Intensive program’s Writing and Research course.
Position Location: JH at Legg Mason Harbor East
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Teach assigned sections: day and/or afternoon as needed
* Ensure students get clear and detailed feedback on their written work and participation
* Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students, including final grade submission
* Serve as a friendly and knowledgeable cultural and linguistic guide to students
* Participate in communications with Summer Intensive staff and program manager
* Attend one-day orientation session and final presentations
* Participate in program meetings
* Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the school
* Perform other duties as assigned during the Saturday event and Final day
The Summer Intensive Writing and Research instructor will provide instruction for 1-3 sections of an intensive writing and research-focused preparatory mini-course from August 1-15 at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Work for this course will include a research paper, a presentation and a panel debate. The main objective is to familiarize students with norms and expectations for writing, participating and analysis in the American classroom. The instructor will use an established curriculum and lesson plans to create an enjoyable learning environment for newly arrived international graduate students. The instructor will participate in a required one-day orientation session on July 27, as well as a Saturday event on August 6, both in Baltimore. Instructors may be selected to teach two sections in the morning or afternoon with a potential to teach three sections, if interested. Each 18-30 student section meets 8 times for 1.5 hours per class, and presentations will take place on the Final day. There will be approximately 15-20 hours of planning/grading per section. The payment will be $2,900/section for new instructors and $3,000/section for returning instructors.
* Bachelor’s degree required. MA/MEd/MS English, Communication or closely related field preferred.
* Experience teaching academic and business writing, especially to international students.
* Ability to lead an effective class with skill and patience.
A resume with an accompanying cover letter and references should be sent to Brenna Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Instructor, WRE Harbor East” in the subject line.
Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Brenna at 410-234-9371.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Homewood HR Divisional Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply