Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an International Non-Governmental Organization operating a world-wide multi-stakeholder platform focused on the delivery of Sustainable Development Goal #7. Launched as a UN initiative in 2011 by the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-Moon, SEforALL is widely acknowledged for its achievement in raising global awareness of the world’s sustainable energy challenges, ensuring they were included in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. SEforALL is directed by its CEO and supports the work of the CEO as she carries out her duties as the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All, as well as her role as the co-chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system. The Secretary General’s advisory committee on Sustainable Energy for All will be supported by the SRSG and SEforALL.
The ambitions of SDG7 on ensuring universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services by 2030 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris agreements involves transformation at a scale never undertaken by humanity before. Swift action needs to be taken by leaders in governments, companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions and communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As a global team, SEforALL crafts interventions that support these leaders in accelerating the delivery of actions. All interventions comprise one or more of SEforALL’s competencies: (i) to marshal the evidence, (ii) to benchmark progress towards SEforALL objectives, (iii) to amplify the voices of the energy poor; (iv) to tell stories of success, and (v) to connect stakeholders to each other and to solutions. All interventions systematically draw on strategic insight, build on compelling communications, and are delivered through and include action-oriented partnerships
Context of Assignment:
The SEforALL Communications Team faces the dual challenge of, on the one hand, continuing to promote and position the initiative, while on the other hand, evolving its brand, visual and media strategy. A new strategic framework has been discussed by the SEforALL Advisory Board, and subsequently several outreach, launch, and positioning activities will take place to both frame the discussions that SEforALL intends to drive, and to support change agents amongst SEforALL’s partners and counterparts in their implementation efforts. Under the overall guidance of the SEforALL Communications Director, the Speechwriter role will draft speeches, video addresses and Oped’s as required for the Chief Executive Officer & Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for SEforALL.
Objective, Scope and Approach
The objective of this assignment of the Speechwriter is to:
* Follow existing guidelines
Ensure that all speeches are based on statistics and evidence recognized as part of the SEforALL body of evidence. All speeches must be drafted with a tone of voice that reflects the values of the organization and is aligned to the CEO’s style of delivery and desire to challenge audiences.
* Provide suggestions to the Communications team
The speechwriter will confer with the Communications Director and the policy team on speech concepts. The speechwriter will also work closely with the CEO to deliver on her requirements to present key messages to influential audiences.
* Ensure that files are presentation-ready and proofed
The speechwriter will ensure that all speeches have been approved by the Communications Director, have been proofed and are ready for submission to the CEO. Should the speech be accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation the speechwriter will be expected to ensure that the slide deck is customized for use in the speech.
During the assignment, the consultant will report to the Director of Communications, SEforALL, for work undertaken within the TOR outlined here. The speechwriter will also work closely with the Chief Executive Officer & Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for SEforALL and liaise with the Chief of Staff.
* Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business studies, International relations, Public Policy or relevant discipline. Master’s degree is considered as an advantage.
* At least 3 years of demonstrated progressive experience in climate change, clean energy and writing for political issues for high-profile individuals.
* Proven ability to be able to write with humanity and translate technical topics in a grounded manner.
* Experience in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and quality as well as commitment to accuracy and results.
* Good understanding of the UN system and the nature of speeches conducted in that environment.
* Ability to deliver SEforALL’s tone of voice across all text.
* Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another UN language desirable. (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
* Client Orientation Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge. Acts as a credible business partner and works with a long-term and institution wide perspective in addressing clients’ needs
* Drive for Results Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables. Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. Knowledge, Learning and Communication Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels. Makes high impact, results oriented presentations and speeches to appropriate decision makers and influences
* Business Judgment and Analytical Decision-Making Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
* Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier.
* Teamwork Work within a newly formed team as well as with colleagues across work units, departments, divisions and with others. Support colleagues, establish a team culture, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high-quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
* Personal Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Must have shown to have the ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor an advantage.
Partnership. SEforALL’s global team operates within and across partner driven networks, building on its strong relationship with the UN. SEforALL’s global team catalyzes connections, coordinates activities with others, collaborates on common objectives and leverages opportunities to deliver more as a platform than it can do individually.
Agility. SEforALL’s global team is adaptive in its approach so it can stay focused on its goal in an evolving economic and political environment. It brings people together that don’t normally talk to each other and frames the questions differently, so it can help leaders unlock action and finance.
Diversity. SEforALL’s global team recognizes the diversity of needs across countries and communities and commits to working with all actors in delivering solutions that respond to these differentiated needs.
Equity. SEforALL’s goal is for “all.” SEforALL’s global team strives for a sustainable energy transition that is just and equitable and leaves no one behind.
Results. SEforALL global team focuses on helping leaders make the most progress, fastest in areas that make a meaningful contribution to SEforALL’s objectives. It is solutions-oriented. It values evidence and data. It understands the scale and urgency of the sustainable energy challenge and the need for a holistic systems-based approach.
Trust. SEforALL’s global team treats information carefully and respects what it is entrusted with as it serves partners and their success
* SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
* SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna and Washington and modern workplace arrangements in terms of flexibility and results orientation.
* Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
* Only short-listed candidates for interviews will be notified.
* Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
* SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.