Education & Training, Teaching, Tutoring
To be discussed.
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Smarthinking, a Pearson service unit, is hiring experienced, educated individuals to serve as part-time online tutors in the Spanish language. Smarthinking provides online tutoring to support colleges, universities, high schools, and individuals. Online Spanish tutors work with students at introductory, intermediate, and advanced levels in all aspects of language and culture, as students work toward effective written and oral communication.
At Pearson and within Smarthinking, we work to facilitate a culture of professional reflection and consistent quality among our teams of tutors. Responsibilities include tutoring and assisting in the training and mentoring of new tutors. Candidates can work from anywhere they have computer and Internet access.
Tutors typically work 8 to 19 hours per week on a set schedule each semester and during the summer, and they may work from anywhere they have high-speed Internet access. The ideal candidate will have experience in a majority of qualifications listed above, as well as: working in an online environment; working independently; advanced degree or credential/certifications in Spanish; significant college-level teaching experience in the relevant areas; consistent availability. Applications are encouraged from full/adjunct faculty and graduate students, and experienced tutors.
* Native or near-native fluency in Spanish.
* Undergraduate degree, teaching certificate or credential, and/or graduate degree in a foreign language or language learning.
* College-level teaching or tutoring experience in Spanish courses.
* Strong command of Spanish grammar, vocabulary, phonetics, and Hispanic culture.
* Detailed knowledge of the differences between English and Spanish.
* Fundamental understanding of student-centered learning practices.
* Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to troubleshoot problems calmly in potentially stressful situations.
* Experience using technology tools in teaching/student learning.
* Strong typing and computer skills.
* An enthusiasm for online education and a passion for helping students to improve their lives through learning.Click Here to Apply