Job Category: Customer Service
Location: United States
To be discussed.
The Somali Telephone Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand and renders meaning of conversations in the consecutive mode of interpretation between speakers of Somali and English. She/he processes information quickly and concisely, recognizes sensitive cultural differences, and is professional and courteous at all times. The Somali interpreter will use appropriate industry terminology and understands common industry procedures and practices. The calls may involve simple or complex, non-technical or technical subjects in the following fields: Healthcare, Government, Insurance, Financial, Utilities, Travel & Hospitality, and 911, Law Enforcement, Court, and General Business.
A work from home Somali Telephone Interpreter works from his/her home-office. It is essential to ensure a quiet & secure environment. Note pads and writing utensils, glossaries, and dictionaries are useful tools. The Somali interpreter must have a dedicated landline or VoIP and head-set and telephone.
II. Major Responsibilities and Principal Accountabilities:
- Renders correct concepts and meanings between Somali and English following complexity, clarity, tone, and style from one language into another, upholding the correct rules for grammar and syntax in both languages
- Provides strict renditions of the messages including every detail of the conversation, and is prepared for challenging calls at any time
- Employs good customer service and communication skills, clear enunciation, pronunciation, pleasant and professional voice as well as polite forms of expressions
- Follows instructions of clients, manage the flow of the call and avoid taking over the call, as well as avoids interaction with the limited English speaker person w/o client’s permission
- Understands protocol and terminology in the following industries: Medical, Insurance, Finance, Court and Law
- Remains calm during calls in the event that one of the primary speakers is incoherent or upset, especially in emergency situations
- Remains punctual and available during scheduled work hours
- Ensures access to the Internet for work related electronic communication
OPEN UNTIL FILLED — EEO/AA
- Native Fluency in Somali and English
- Advanced skills in the cultural dynamics (cultural implication and idiomatic expression) of both Somali and English
- Excellent listening, retention and note taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Knowledge of industry-specific terminology; on-going study of glossaries and training materials including scripts provided by our clients
- Ability to concentrate, stay detached from the conversation, and remain neutral and objective at all times
- Ability to follow client’s instructions closely
- Ability to explain certain cultural concepts to avoid miscommunication with the permission or at request of the client
- Completion of High school education
- Education in languages/translation/interpretation or related fields preferred, but not required
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race. color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting appropriate employment service delivery systems, such as state workforce agencies and local employment delivery systems, to provide priority referrals of protected veterans.
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply