Job Category: Data, Analytics
Location: Work from anywhere (Global)
Upworthy’s mission is to draw massive amounts of attention to the most important stories in the world — to change what hundreds of millions or billions of people are paying attention to every year.
And we’re off to a great start: In the last three or so years, we’ve designed an industry-leading story testing system, built a vast data warehouse, and amassed a trove of insights from thousands of experiments. We spend our days at the intersection of data and storytelling, developing tools and techniques to find, develop, craft, optimize, and even assess the impact of our stories in novel, powerful ways. But to make the kind of difference we want to make in the world, we need to go even further. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a curious, driven Senior Business Analyst to join our Data and Analytics team to help shape our data into great stories for clients, the media, and investors.
Is This Job For You?
- Are you a multitalented analytics superstar who loves working with all kinds of data to solve real-world problems?
- Are you an expert at crafting compelling stories—for potential clients, for reporters, and for colleagues—using data?
- Do you sometimes wonder why you can’t use SQL in non-work parts of your life to communicate precisely what you mean?
If you answered “Yes” to the above, this might be the job for you! (If you’ve never shared something on Facebook, thought about the most intuitive way to chart some data, or thought about the difference between a pageview and a unique visitor, this probably isn’t the right fit for you.)
- Entrepreneurial instincts and a hands-on attitude. You should have an eye for the big picture, but love getting your hand dirty to come up with actionable intelligence.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. The ability to communicate clearly, especially in writing (since we’re a virtual office), is essential. You’ll be presenting results to marketing executives, sales planners, and account strategists who don’t just want a data dump, they want you to help them fit the data into a cohesive story.
- Comfort with basic statistics. You should understand margins of error, representative sampling, and p-values, and, ideally, be able to explain them to statistics novices.
- Expertise exploring and transforming data using at least one of the following programs: Excel, Stata, SPSS, R, or Python. (If you know and love a similar program/language that’s not listed, you should definitely still apply.)
- Experience querying large datasets using some flavor of SQL (we use PostgreSQL and Redshift, but if you know one, you know them all).
- Experience with one or more media or ad reporting tools. You know the jargon and can find your way around these tools quickly and easily. (e.g. comScore, Quantcast, Doubleclick for Publishers)
- Experience with A/B testing. You know how to set up a valid test and how to interpret the results.
Why It’s So Great To Work At Upworthy
- You’ll be paid competitively and get a stake in the company. We’re mission-driven, but we’re also a well-funded for-profit venture. All full-timers are offered equity.
- You can work from anywhere. Upworthy has no central office; we collaborate entirely online. You can work from basically anywhere with Internet access, in time zones that match up with the United States.
- Take vacation when you need it. You’ll have unlimited time off. We even give you a vacation bonus to encourage you to take a really nice vacation from time to time and recharge fully.
- Stay healthy. We offer everyone a free, high-quality, no-deductible health insurance plan, as well as dental and vision benefits. And we encourage work-life balance and ergonomic precautions for all.
- We <3 families. We have a generous parental leave policy for all employees.
- Save for the future. We offer a 401(k) plan to all full-time employees who have completed six months with us.
- Awesome team. You’ll be collaborating with a fantastic group of smart, driven, principled, good-spirited people.
- And many additional perks!
We’re Deep Believers In Equal Opportunity
At Upworthy, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our company is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical handicap.
How To ApplyClick Here To Apply