Education & Training, Online Teaching, Teaching
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, it will deliver online learning to over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Working primarily from your home, certified Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools the Substitute Teacher will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Substitute Teacher will support various CA schools during short term periods of teacher absences for up to but not limited to 6-8 weeks. This is a part-time position with no benefits.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
* Complete all grading, create report cards and conduct parent conferences in a timely and manner
* Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions.
* Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects.
* Work collaboratively with a team of teachers to ensure that all students on the team’s caseload are successfully progressing through the program that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed evenly amongst the team members.
* Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects.
* Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone.
* Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts.
* Work with Advisory Teachers and School counselor to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Valid Secondary Science teacher certification
* Bachelor’s degree or higher
* Multiple certifications a plus
* Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
* Customer focused approach
* High degree of flexibility
* Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
* Team player track record
* Ability to work remotely
* Must own a computer with high speed Internet access that meets Connections Academy’s minimum technology specifications, including Microsoft Office.
* During the time that Teacher is subbing, must be available Monday – Friday during normal business hours
* Complete required orientation and training programs upon hire and at the beginning of each school year
* Comply with all provisions of the Connections Education Work At-Home Policy
* Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families