Online Teaching, Maths
To be discussed.
Pearson Online Blended Learning (OBL) is a leading provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools. In the 2015-16 school year, Connections Academy supported 29 virtual public schools in 25 states – serving more than 60,000 students. Pearson OBL delivers blended (online and on-site) learning in select states via Nexus Academy schools, while students worldwide seeking a private online school can attend International Connections Academy. The Pearson OBL by Pearson division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Pearson OBL delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K–12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and private and public online schools.
Pearson is based in Baltimore, Maryland and was named a 2016 “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun and a 2016 “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Regularly recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Pearson is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Pearson OBL is part of the global education company, Pearson.
Working out of his/her home, the Lead Math Specialist will engage with students and staff in the support of the development of positive math mindsets via our elementary Math discourse program. The Lead Specialist will work with small groups of elementary students in collaborative problem solving activities within a synchronous virtual classroom utilized by Connections Education schools. The Specialist will be responsible for working with students to develop a positive mindset toward math, engage in student-to-student oral and written discourse related to mathematical reasoning and problem solving, and apply their knowledge and understanding of skills and concepts. Specialists will be responsible for monitoring and engaging student activity within the virtual classroom at all times, and providing support/feedback, as well as logging student contacts.
In addition to working directly with students, the Lead Specialist will be responsible for supervising a small group of Math Specialists. The Lead Specialist will be responsible for creating/maintaining staff schedules, performance evaluation of supervised staff, and other duties as assigned.
This part-time position is active until the end of the 2017-2018 school year with the possibility of the program extending. You will be expected to work up to 31 hours per week,, Monday- Friday . Possible shifts would fall within the following time frames: Monday through Thursday 11:00 a.m. through 9:00 p.m. EST and Friday 11:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. EST. You should expect to work at least two nights per week (until 9:00 pm EST) in the Lead Specialist position.
* Engage small groups of elementary students in fun, collaborative problem solving activities within a synchronous virtual classroom;
* Work with students to develop a positive mindset toward math, engage in student-to-student oral and written discourse related to mathematical reasoning and problem solving, and apply their knowledge and understanding of math skills and concepts;
* Work with students to develop knowledge in math concepts;
* Monitor activity within the virtual classroom at all times during hours of operation;
* Communicate with students through the use of LiveLesson;
* Ensure necessary documentation is completed and adheres to Connections Education requirements and standards for all students that have attended the math discourse session;
* Supervise a small group of math specialists
* Create staff schedule
* Other duties as assigned.
* Positive mathematical growth mindset
* Deep knowledge of mathematical skills, concepts, and subject area
* BA in education or mathematics related discipline is preferred
* State teaching certification in Math is preferred
* Experience with online instruction is a plus
* Prior experience as tutor or educator is a plus
* Leadership experience is a plus
* Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office)
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with ability to lead students in collaborative problem solving activities
* Customer focused approach
* High degree of flexibility
* Availability during the hours listed above for at least 15 hours per week
* Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
* Team player track record
* Computer, headphones, microphone, and high-speed access to internet
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply