Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world class curricula for PK-12, seeks Quality Management Freelancers to join our dynamic, dedicated team. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The uncompromising curriculum from Great Minds assumes that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers what they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences.
Although Great Minds is based in Washington, D.C. Freelance work can be performed remotely.
Style and Standards
* Employ proofreading and formatting skills as needed.
* Ensure that errors are properly corrected.
* Compare all original materials, marked up by copy edit and writers, with the final product to ensure all revisions are correctly implemented.
* Employ copy editing, proofreading, and cross-checking skills as needed.
* Check organization against tables of content to ensure correct ordering and page numbering.
* Maintain familiarity with the company style guides and ensure products are consistent with guidelines and style standards.
* Format text, paragraphs, and documents in Word, Excel, PPT, InDesign, and other file types to:
– apply styles and document-wide settings
– work with templates
– create/modify tables and columns
– insert and format images
– insert/format different headers and footers within the same document
– format page numbering
– troubleshoot basic formatting issues
– convert Word to InCopy; link InCopy into InDesign
– manage intake and delivery of files
– perform other tasks related to document management as directed.
* Complete various layout and formatting tasks in InDesign, including but not limited to:
* Create and apply styles for paragraphs, characters, objects, tables, and cells. Editing parameters such as font, size, style, spacing before and after, hanging indents, lists, shading, rules, object/table/cell properties.
* Create color. Edit/apply color swatches. Adjust color mode.
* Identify linked versus embedded images and identify image specifications like resolution and color mode.
* Place images in-line as well as in frames outside of text. Adjust the in-line positioning and text wrap.
* Make simple manipulations to transform images (rotate, scale, etc.).
* Add pages, identify and apply master pages to specific pages in a document.
* Set page orientation, margins, columns, bleeds, and layers, successfully thread text frame to frame, correct overset
text, and load master pages & styles. Use preview mode.
* Work in Story mode to modify text across text frames or edit XML data.
* Adjust text features such as kerning, tracking, and leading. Use alternate characters, glyphs, and conditional text.
* Create nested and GREP styles with Wildcards/Regex.
* Add/delete anchors and use anchor handles to transform shapes.
* Link InDesign to InCopy files, check in/out files, and correctly use Assignments for writers/editors.
* Link InDesign to InDesign files.
* Use the Book feature to compile a series of InDesign documents. Export the book into desired output format.
* Properly set the transparency blend space and output color profile according to specifications.
* Use Acrobat to move pages, add or remove pages, split pdf documents, and create watermarks.
* BA degree in English, Journalism, or related field preferred
* Minimum three years’ professional experience
* Minimum two years proofreading experience
* Experience in copy editing, proofreading, and formatting
* Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud, project management/tracking programs, and SharePoint or other document management programs
* K–12 mathematics, English language arts, and/or science curriculum background a plus
* Competency working with InDesign
In addition, the right candidate will possess the following “must have” attributes:
* Extreme attention to detail and excellent time management skills
* Outstanding communication skills both in writing and speaking
* Detail-oriented to the smallest degree but also able to see the big picture
* Maintain high-quality work and thrive in a deadline-driven, high-volume production environment
* Flexibility to easily switch between tasks and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
* Personable with the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure
* High degree of professionalism
* Exposure to working with or (preferably) within a remote team
* A love for document creation and all the moving parts it takes to put the best possible product into the world
Please note that this is a contract based position only. This means we would establish a year-long contract with you for your services on an “as needed” basis.
If you are interested in contractual work with Great Minds, please submit a resume and cover letter to QC.Reviewer@greatminds.org. Please include preferred hourly rate as well as availability (hours per week). All candidates will be required to complete vetting tasks. Final candidates will be required to participate in a video interview.