Copy Editor – Remote
To be discussed.
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice, and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Student Loan Hero copy editor do?
The role of the copy editor is crucial to Student Loan Hero’s mission to provide the best educational resources possible for student loan borrowers.
Copy editors work closely with Student Loan Hero’s team of writers and editors to publish high-quality, error-free content that helps our readers answer important questions about their student loans and their finances in general.
The goal: to make the confusing world of student loans and personal finance easy to understand so our readers can take action.
In addition to thousands of articles published on the Student Loan Hero website, we’ve contributed to and been featured in The New York Times, Business Insider, The Huffington Post, Forbes, and Entrepreneur, to name a few publications.
The day to day:
– Fixes grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors within articles
– Verifies facts, dates, and statistics
– Ensures content is optimized according to SEO best practices
– Adds images and formats content as needed
– Participates in content ideation as needed
– Runs content through a final checklist prior to publishing
– Performs other duties as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members in cities all over the world, including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, and other tools is key for us. Don’t worry — you won’t be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
Because we’re a growing company, most team members wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them, and we place value on the output of each team member, not on the number of hours you spend working.
Transparency plays a large part in our culture and values. We believe team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
We also like to make work as fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends as well as several other great perks.
– Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
– Bachelor’s degree
– Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience with an online publication’s editorial team
– Superior communication skills
– Strong grammar skills
– Strong computer skills
– Experience with WordPress or similar CMS
– Ability to prioritize effectively and meet deadlines
– Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and business needs
– Strong attention to detail
– Ability to maintain a professional demeanor
– Knowledge of editorial guidelines and SEO optimization
– Experience working in the financial services industry (preferred)
– Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events
Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand-new MacBook Pro and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
Remote work space: We’ll pay up to $500 per month for a co-working space.
Wellness: We cover 100 percent of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan. You’ll also get up to $150 per month for a gym membership, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss program, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
Continuing education: Up to $100 per month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
Financial contribution: Receive a 100 percent match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary to a retirement account as well as a 100 percent match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.Click Here to Apply