The Greek Telephone/Video Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand, and rendering the meaning of conversations between Greek and English speakers. The interpreter breaks the communication barrier in a wide range of industries that LanguageLine Solutions serves: Healthcare, Government, Insurance, Financial, Utilities, Travel & Hospitality, General Business, Law Enforcement, Court, and 911.
The interpreter processes information quickly, concisely and recognizes sensitive cultural differences. He/She is professional and courteous at all times. The interpreter uses appropriate terminology and understands common industry procedures and practices. The calls may involve simple or complex, technical or non-technical subjects.
This position does not involve written translation however translators and other skilled linguists are encouraged to apply. Telephone/Video interpreters translate verbally.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Answer calls promptly and conduct interpretation in a friendly and professional manner.
* Render correct concepts and meanings according to the conventions of established interpretation protocol, avoiding omissions or additions.
* Speak clearly in both languages using proper pronunciation, enunciation and polite expressions.
* Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the call at all times.
* Remain calm during calls in the event that one of the primary speakers is incoherent or upset, especially in emergency situations.
* Maintain punctuality and availability during scheduled work hours.
* Follow client instructions, in compliance with protocol to ensure client expectations are met with the Limited English-speaking Person (LEP), avoiding interaction with the LEP without client’s permission.
* Understand protocol and terminology for various industries including, but not limited to, Medical, Insurance, Finance and Law.
* Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and working in a diverse environment.
* Fluency in Greek and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
* Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with the LEP.
* Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy during interpretation.
* Education or work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation preferred.
* Must be at least 18 years of age.
* Legally authorized to work in the US/Canada.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Dedicated landline and telephone or VoIP (internet phone) and head-set. Telephone services cannot have call waiting, voicemail, call forwarding, caller ID, voice messaging or other features that may interfere with call delivery. For optimal connectivity: A cellular or cordless phone is not permissible.
* High speed Internet connection for work related electronic communication. This internet connection should provide download speeds of no less than 5 Mbps and upload speeds of 1 Mbps.
* A direct connection from the modem to the desktop or laptop must be used. Cable or fiber optic services are preferred. For optimal connectivity: Satellite service is not permissible.
* Must be able to operate a keyboard and mouse and remain in a stationary position in front of a computer the majority of the workday.
* Must have sufficient manual dexterity to type or write.
* Able to lift up to 26 lbs.
* May be exposed to moderate noise levels; i.e. computer, audio, telephone.