CureSearch for Children’s Cancer is looking for the right person to join our Development team as a Grant Writer. The team raises funds in support of the organization’s efforts to bring new and less toxic cancer treatments to children. Our Grant Writer is an important part of a staff of passionate, committed professionals who work tirelessly to end childhood cancer.
CureSearch’s Grant Writer creates an annual strategy for identification, cultivation and solicitation of grants. He or she personally writes grants and proposals used to maximize philanthropic support from corporations, foundations, and other large institutions.
CureSearch is conducting a national search for the right person to help support the work we do to bring an end to childhood cancer.
This is a fully remote, part-time contract position. 12-18 hours per week, $50-$55/hour.
Responsibilities and Duties
* Personally write grants to foundations (corporate, foundation, and family) and manage the grant submission process, start to finish.
* Respond to requests to write proposals and complete applications for individual gift prospects and institutional prospects that are consistent with CureSearch goals.
* Develop a strategic plan and application calendar, in partnership with the Director of Donor Development, for the submission of grants that is based on overall CureSearch strategy.
* Provide a full spectrum of assistance to staff in the planning, writing, budget development, and evaluation of grants.
* Work with finance, research, executive office and other development staff to collect information needed to complete the proposal.
* Provide data to be entered into Raiser’s Edge to support its use as a client relationship management and proposal tracking system.
* Work with Leadership Giving Coordinator to keep a schedule of grants awarded to CureSearch and the dates and content needs required for progress reports.
* Partner with Leadership Giving Coordinator to research and identify new prospects for institutional and family grant funding, to research funding proposal requirements and submittal deadlines, and to maintain report calendar.
* Prepare briefing material for CEO and other senior development staff in preparation for meetings and activities.
* Maintain the monthly dashboard report of activities for the grants program. Prepare other reports as needed.
* Advise colleagues of trends that will strengthen the development program overall and the grants program specifically.
* Maintain knowledge of all CureSearch research and education programs.
* Work closely with the other development staff to foster a collaborative, high performing development program.
* Participate in special assignments and related events and programs.
* Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
* 5 years’ work experience demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility with at least 3 of those years in grant writing or foundation relations for a nonprofit, preferably a national health or disease-related organization.
* Demonstrated ability to secure significant grant funding.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent persuasive writer, making a compelling case for supporting CureSearch.
* Principles and techniques of grant proposal writing and budgeting.
* Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal stress.
* Patience to conduct research and find other connections that result in stronger, warmer leads.
* Knowledge of national grant-makers, including pharmaceutical companies, and other institutions focused on medical research, is desirable.
* Ability to work cross-functionally with scientific, program, fundraising, and communications staff/ strong team orientation.
* Skill in working with fundraising software, research databases, and Microsoft Office applications. Raiser’s Edge knowledge preferable.
* Comfortable working from home: ability to prioritize and plan work activities, monitor own work to ensure quality, and to work productively with minimal supervision.
* Demonstrated creativity, energy and ambition to handle multiple tasks and projects.
* Grounding in scientific/research field or ability to quickly master fundamental tenets.
CureSearch has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this position description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.