Job Category: Writer
Location: Work from anywhere (Global)
Our well-funded, fast-growing education technology startup is recruiting ELA Assessment Item Writers to write ELA assessment items. You will work closely with LearnZillion’s Academic Team to produce assessment items that are closely aligned to a Common Core-aligned curriculum. This is an opportunity to scale your impact and permanently change the field of education. You have a strong background in the English Language Arts standards of the Common Core State Standards and would enjoy part-time flexible work developing assessment items that are tightly aligned to the target curriculum.
About the Role
As an ELA Assessment Item Writer, you will write and develop high quality ELA assessment items. Your charge is to ensure that developed items meet the provided item and test specifications provided by LearnZillion. You’ll be responsible for communicating with the Associate Director of Assessment to report your progress, as well as for receiving and incorporating feedback.
All writers will participate in a remote orientation and training and then develop 10 items on a trial basis. Additional item writing assignments are contingent on the quality of the items developed.
First and foremost, you have strong pedagogical and content knowledge of the ELA content of the Common Core State Standards. You’re detail-oriented and have past experience in developing assessment items. You are a current or former K–8 teacher, teacher educator, graduate student, or ELA content expert. You also recognize the importance of well-aligned, well-crafted ELA assessment items as tools to provide insight into the degree to which students have learned the ELA taught in instructional units.
LearnZillion is a collaborative and supportive company, so you are someone who is hungry to learn, welcomes tough feedback, and wants to deepen your knowledge of item assessment. In this role, you’ll report to the Associate Director of ELA Assessment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Use provided specifications and ancillary materials to develop grade-level appropriate assessment items aligned to an ELA Curriculum
- Maintain reliable communication with members of the LearnZillion team regarding your progress on developing items, including providing weekly status reports
- Participate in a remote orientation/training session
- Complete work on schedule
- Incorporate all feedback and revisions suggested by LearnZillion staff within 3 days of receipt of feedback.
Qualities we’re looking for in a candidate
- Strong pedagogical and content knowledge in the ELA content of the K-8 Common Core State Standards
- Ability to produce ELA items that are accessible all students and that speak to the diversity of experiences that children have
- Ability to develop assessment items from item specifications; experience writing technology-enhanced items preferred
- Responsiveness to feedback and ability to apply feedback received on previous work to new assignments.
- A passion for the mission at LearnZillion
- BA/BS degree in English, ELA education, or related relevant field
- Teacher, teacher educator, graduate student, and/or ELA content developer
- Previous item writing experience
- Ability to determine whether assessment items are well aligned to instructional units
- Knowledge of the challenges that students face in learning ELA, including knowing about common errors that students make
- Proficiency with Google Docs and Google Sheets
- Can work a part-time, flexible schedule, but can commit to completing assignments on schedule
Compensation: $30 per item
Location: Remote work
How To ApplyClick Here to Apply