BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The phone-based adherence nurse works closely with assigned patients, BioMarin field sales organization, Clinical Coordinators, and BioMarin RareConnections personnel to support adherence-related activities for patients enrolled in RareConnections. In this role, the adherence nurse interacts (primarily by phone) with assigned patients to support compliance with the clinic’s protocol for continuation of Kuvan therapy, advocates for patient needs, conducts patient-level education and provides pertinent information back to Account team and the clinic. For patients challenged by adhering to chronic therapy, the adherence nurse addresses specific issues that may impede successful adherence and utilizes validated methods for promoting adherence (Motivational Interviewing/health coaching).
Contacts patient by phone and/or text to assist with all aspects of adherence to chronic therapy; including motivational interviewing/goal building sessions to support clinic generated treatment goals, reminders to refill medication, reminders to complete and submit necessary lab tests, clinic visit reminders, warm transfer to specialty pharmacy or RareConnections, invitation to patient events
* Work outside of regular business hours (8 am – 5 pm) may be required to reach patients and families
* Informs BioMarin affiliates of appropriate patient communications and follow-up approach on an ongoing basis
Advocates for Patient Needs
* Assesses case-specific advocacy needs (e.g. assistance with scheduling clinic visits, completing requirements for renewal of Prior Authorization, transportation or language translation-related logistics, as other patient-specific needs identified)
* Implements integrated plan to address the patient-specific needs
Conducts Patient-Level Education
* Addresses patient questions and perceptions about the role of the product in treating the clinical disease
* Responds to patient inquiries about RareConnections and other BioMarin-related support programs
* Evaluates patient comprehension of key product and support program information and reinforces patient-specific plans (developed by clinic)
Supports ongoing case management
* Describes the payer-related requirements for continuation of BioMarin product (regular clinic visits, obtaining and submitting required lab testing, diet records)
* Collaborates with RareConnections to ensure the required documentation is submitted to payer in a timely manner to prevent disruption of therapy.
Education and credentials as an allied health care professional (RN preferred)
* Bachelor of Science required
* 4+ years of direct patient care experience and comfort with peer-to-peer clinical discussions involving individual patient cases. Telephonic adherence support experience preferred.